segunda-feira, 13 de junho de 2011

[Review] Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones (English)


I must confess that I am a great admirer of Frank Turner’s work, solo or with his former band Million Dead. So, even before hearing the new album, I expected it to be another masterpiece. However, after listening to several times that "England Keep My Bones," I can say that it exceeded all my expectations.

The album begins with "Eulogy," a very short song, however, with a strong message. This song is a great start this album. Then comes the first single, "Peggy Sang The Blues." The first time I heard this song I didn’t like it, because it seemed a little different from the normal style of Frank Turner, but it quickly became one of my favorites, especially in terms of lyrics, with lines like: "It does not matter where you come from, / It matters where you go. / No-one gets remembered / For the things they didn’t do."

"I Still Believe" had been present at the "Rock & Roll" EP and is also one of my favorite songs on the album. "Rivers", with its very particular fingerpicking and with the presence of violins, is one of the songs that show an influence of traditional English music.

"I Am Disappeared" is a song that, apart from the obvious references to a major influence on Frank Turner, Bob Dylan, reports its willingness to sometimes leave everything behind.

"English Curse" is the most "different" song from the album. This song is undoubtedly the most influenced by traditional English music, as we all know, Frank Turner appreciates.

"One Foot Before The Other" is probably the "heaviest" song that Frank ever wrote. Examples of this are lines like: "On the very day I die, the very last of my desires / Is that you take my broken body and commit it to the fire." Then comes a song which sounded much more "lively", "If Ever I Stray." Frank himself said that when people at the concerts know the lyrics of this song, it will become one of the greatest moments of the shows. "Wessex Boy" is a song about his origins, his hometown. This song has the support of Franz Nicolay.

"Nights Become Days" is the most calm and beautiful song of the album. Then comes "Redemption", which is one of the saddest songs ever wrote Frank Turner. Despite this, in my opinion, is one of his best songs ever.

The album ends in the best way, with "Glory Hallelujah", a song that may cause some controversy due to the fact that Frank clearly stated: "There is no God." This song also has the collaboration of a gospel choir.

In short, we can consider this album as a mix of the three first album Frank Turner, with the folk side of "Sleep Is For The Week" and "Love, Ire and Song ', and the rock side of “The Poetry Of Deed”. This makes "England Keep My Bones" the best Frank Turner album to date.

9.5/10



Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário